Today I present the Third/Last Born child.
The first book I will refer to is Teach Your Child by Dr Miriam Stoppard.
Her list of personality characteristics of Last born children include:-
• Being spoiled
• An ability to empathise
• Feelings of inadequacy
• Feelings of inferiority
• Sibling rivalry
• Envy and jealousy
The following is from Why First Borns Rule The World and Last Borns Want To Change It by Michael Grose.
His list of characteristics of third/last children include:-
• Risk takers
• Ideas people
• Challenge authority
Grose says that third/last borns fall into 3 categories:-
1. The Impatient Doer – Just Do It
2. The Ideas Person – Creative challenges are made for the divergent thinking of last borns.
3. The Salesperson – They are tenacious, don’t take ‘no’ for an answer, know how to play and have fun.
Here are five strategies Grose recommends if you live with a third/last born child.
1. Don’t let them get lost
2. Give them responsibilities
3. Encourage them to make their own decisions
4. Put pressure on them
5. Let go – resist the temptation to hold on
What kind of parents do third/last borns make?
They are less likely to be a ‘fixer parent’ and will tend to go with the flow. Possibly less likely to over-protect and smother their children. Discipline is not their strong point.
Does anyone agree or disagree with this assessment of third/last borns?